Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Future of SkIndigo

I've been trying to get SkIndigo (a.k.a the plugin that will never be finished) ready for the next stable Indigo release. Onosendai (creator of Indigo) will soon be releasing Indigo 1.1 stable. SkIndigo is basically ready to go. However, loading IGM materials is still currently broken and I am finally working to fix it. I have been dreading working on this because it is very time consuming and a lot of boring work. Users probably don't realize the huge amount of effort it takes to get this feature working. The challenge is that Onosendai added and changed so many things in this new version including emitting materials and procedural shaders. Plus, the XML syntax has changed substantially as well. My goal is that 95% of all materials in the Indigo Material Database will be loadable by SkIndigo. Therefore, my code must not only be fully compatible with the latest Indigo release, but it also must be backwards compatible with older IGM materials saved with previous SkIndigo versions.
What about the future? Well, here are some features you might (no promises) see in the next batch of SkIndigo beta releases (versions 1.2.x)
  • the return of internal textures (texture maps workflow has changed a lot in versions 1.1.x)
  • network rendering options
  • SketchyPhysics SketchyReplay animation export
  • Scene tab object animation support
  • OSX support
As a matter of interest, the latest stable release of SkIndigo has been downloaded almost 16,000 times! I know you will all enjoy the next stable release of Indigo. It's going to be killer!

2 comments:

  1. wow!, I'm looking forward to it! Thanks so much for all you've done in making skindigo so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaat, I have a commercial SketchUp 7 application. May I ask if SKindigo works with version 7 as well?

    Please enlighten me.

    ReplyDelete